The iPhone Error 18 occurs while users are restoring their device. However, there can be other reasons why this error code occurs. Moreover, this iPhone error code can also be seen on the iTunes application. So if you are currently facing this issue with your iPhone then follow this article right now.
Here in this article, you will get to know the causes and the methods to fix the error code. Hence, without any further delay, proceed with the article.
Possible Causes that can Lead to iPhone error 18
The possible causes that can be held responsible for the issue can be as follows:
- In case the iTunes application is corrupt then the issue can occur.
- If the iTunes is out of date then also you can get the issue.
- If the system’s Operating System is not up to date then also the issue persists.
- An out of date iPhone can also be held responsible for the issue.
- An issue with Internet settings can also lead to the issue.
Therefore, these were some of the causes that can lead to the issue. However, in your case, there can be other causes that can lead to the issue. Hence, we will proceed to the solution part of the article below.
Walkthrough these Methods to fix Error 18 on iPhone
For fixing the issue in an easier way, you need to follow each and every step that we have provided for you. By doing this, things won’t become complicated for you. Hence, you can now proceed to the following section in order to perform the methods:
Methods 1: Flush the DNS Cache of the System
Flushing the DNS cache of the system will ensure that the internet connection becomes smooth. Hence, you can try to perform this method in order to fix the error code. We have divided this method into two parts, let us have a look at it:
Part 1: Flushing the DNS cache on Mac
- On your Mac system, open the Applications section and then click on the Utilities option.
- After that, choose the Terminal option.
- At the Terminal window, enter dscacheutil -flushcache and then hit the Return key.
- As the command executes, the DNS cache will be flushed.
This method works on Mac OS X 10.5 or later. However, for the Windows users, you can proceed to the next part below.
Part 2: Flush the DNS cache on Windows
- Open the Start menu and the type Command Prompt in the search box.
- As you choose the Command Prompt option from the results, the black Command Prompt window will open.
- Now type ipconfig /flushdns and then press the Enter key.
- Wait for the command to execute and then close the Command Prompt window.
- Now check if you still get the error code.
We expect that this method will help you to fix the issue easily. However, if the issue still shows up then follow the next method.
Method 2: Reset the Lockdown Folder
By deleting or resetting the Lockdown folder on your system, iTunes will create a new directory. Hence, it will help you to fix the issue easily. Therefore, you need to try this method as soon as possible. For simplicity we have divided this method into two parts:
Part 1: Reset the Lockdown Folder on Windows System
- On Windows, open the Run box using the Windows logo key and the R key at the same time.
- Once the Run box opens, enter %ProgramData% and then click on the OK button.
- Next, locate and double-click on the Apple folder.
- Now, find and then delete the Lockdown folder and then restart your system.
- Once done, check for the issue.
In case you are a Mac user then follow the next section:
Part 2: Reset the Lockdown Folder on Mac
- Go to the Finder section and then click on the Go option.
- After that, click on the Go to Folder section and then type /var /db /lockdown.
- Once you have entered that, press the Return key.
- As the Lockdown folder opens, select all the items there and then delete them.
- Now check if the issue persists or not.
So, this is how you can fix the error code by resetting the Lockdown folder on your system.
Method 3: Update the iTunes Application to its Latest Version
Normally this error code can occur if the iTunes application is out of date. Hence, you have to update the iTunes application to its latest version. We have provided the solution in two parts for a better understanding of the procedure. Now let us have a look at it:
Part 1: Update the iTunes Application on the Windows System
- Open the iTunes application by double-clicking on its symbol.
- Once the iTunes application opens, click on the Help tab on the top menu bar.
- After that, click on the Check for Updates option from the drop-down list.
- Now, on a new window, wait for the scanning process to finish and then click on the Download iTunes button.
- Again you have to wait till the iTunes downloads and installs its latest version automatically.
- You can follow any on-screen prompts if they pop up.
- Finally, when it is done, restart your system. After that, check if the error code persists or not.
We hope that this method will get the issue fixed. However, for Mac users, you can proceed to the second part below.
Part 2: Update the iTunes Application on Mac
- First, click on the Apple icon at the top left corner of the screen.
- After that, choose the App Store option from the drop-down list.
- Now click on the More button which is associated with Software Update.
- In the next step, click on the Update button beside the iTunes section.
- Now, wait for the process to complete and once done, you have to restart your Mac system.
- As the Mac restarts, you can check if the iTunes/iPhone error code is still there or not.
Therefore, this is how you can update the iTunes application to its latest version. For other methods, you can proceed to the next section.
Method 4: Delete all the Files Ending with the .ipsw Extension
Some of the users have reported that deleting the .ipsw file extension helps to resolve the error code. Hence, you can follow the steps that are given below:
- First, you have to open the file location depending on your Operating System:
- For Windows: \Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
- For Mac: ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
- On reaching the file location, you have to find and delete all the available .ipsw files.
- Now close the window and restart your system.
- Finally, check if the iPhone error (-18) during restore issue is still there or not.
So this is how deleting the .ipsw files will help you to fix the issue easily.
Method 5: Reinstall the iTunes Application on your System
In case the iTunes application is corrupt then you have to reinstall the iTunes application. The steps that will help you to perform the method are again divided into parts. Now let’s have a look at it:
Part 1: On Windows platform
- Open the Run box and then type appwiz.cpl. After that, click on the Ok button in order to continue.
- Once the Programs and Features window opens, click on the Publisher button.
- Now locate and right-click on the iTunes application.
- After that, click on the Uninstall option and then follow all the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation process.
- Once done, restart the system and then download and install the latest version of iTunes from its official website.
- After doing that, check if the error code is still there to trouble you or not.
So this is how you can proceed with the method. However, for the Mac users, you can have a look at the part below.
Part 2: On Mac platform
- At first, go to the Finder section and then open the Applications option. After that, click on the Utilities option and then click on the Terminal option.
- As the Terminal window opens, type cd/ Applications and then hit the Return key.
- Next, enter sudo rm -rf iTunes.app/ and again hit the Return key.
- This will uninstall the iTunes application.
- Once done, proceed to the Mac App Store and then download the latest version of the iTunes application on your Mac.
- Finally, check if the issue still occurs or not.
Hopefully, now you will be able to resolve the issue easily.
The Bottom Line
So these are the methods that will help you to fix the iPhone error 18 easily. We expect you will not face any problem with the methods. However, if you need help then you can connect with reliable experts for better guidance.